Hunker Down and Hygge
Have you guys heard of the word Hygge? I kept seeing it everywhere and finally looked it up. First of all its pronounced "Hoo-ga". Hygge is a Danish concept and way of life that helps you not only survive winter but enjoy it! It's all about the warm cozy's and if you live in a Northern climate... you get it
Before we get too far here is a great definition:
1) The art of building sanctuary and community, of inviting closeness and paying attention to what makes us feel open hearted and alive: 2) To create well being connection and warmth; 3) A feeling of belonging to the moment and to each other: 4) Celebrating the everyday.
After reading that, how can you not be in love with Hygge!? Winters are long in northern climates and rather than getting bummed out about it I love the idea of embracing the season and making it something to look forward to! The Hygge life style is about unplugging and connecting with the people around you.
Here are 8 great ways to add Hygge to your every day lifestyle:
1) Read a good book by the fireside
2) Fill your home with cozy blankets and feather throw pillows.
3) Bring the outside in with greenery
4) Decorate with fairy lights
5) Candles, candles, candles! And then add a few more candles...
6) Hot soup simmering on the stove
7) Play your favorite music...only good vibes
8) Surround yourself with friends and family and eat great food!
Hygge is a great concept to implement in your designs. People need beauty AND comfort in there lives! So in conclusion as we enter this winter of 2018-2019 don't let the chilly air or the cloudy skies bring you down. Just do what the Danish do...Hunker down and Hygge.